Meritize is an education lender that uses an individual’s academic, military and work achievements to enhance credit evaluation and expand funding for skills-based education. The company’s proprietary merit-based lending program goes beyond traditional underwriting to leverage individual academic and experiential data, resulting in increased access to educational funding and improved outcomes. The Meritize platform promotes the growth and development of skills-based careers on behalf of students, educators and employers through innovative funding solutions, skills building programs and career success services.
If you are looking to work alongside a team of highly energetic, passionate and driven people, then this opportunity may be for you. This position reports to the Controller. Senior Accountant will be responsible for the following:
• Prepare monthly journal entries by compiling relevant data with supporting documentation in accordance to GAAP.
• Review monthly accruals for accuracy and record the applicable journal entries. Research accounting transactions and ensure necessary corrections and adjustments are made.
• Full cycle accounts receivable and payable, including preparation of monthly invoices and maintaining customer and vendor records.
• Lead month-end close process and preparation of internal financial statements.
• Prepare monthly account reconciliation for related balance sheet accounts with detailed support schedules. Take appropriate action to clear the reconciling items. Work with business units to prepare adjustment to specific accounts. Review low risk reconciliations.
• Improve financial recordkeeping and reporting.
• Assist with audit preparation and coordination for external auditors and tax request.
• Helps support, maintain, and document the design of the accounting business processes.
• Train and help grow staff accountant(s).
• Communicate with multiple levels in the organization of operating results for their respective areas.
• Support Controller and CFO with the implementation of ongoing development of company’s internal controls and maintain best practice accounting processes.
• Continuously analyze current automation of the accounting and reporting process and present improvement suggestions.
• Perform ad hoc projects as necessary.
Working closely with the accounting team, this person will meet the following requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
• 3-5 year of accounting experience
• NetSuite ERP knowledge
• Intermediate Excel skills
• Possess knowledge and understanding of GAAP and audit practices
• Analytical skills, displaying an ability to gather, relate and compare data, and ensure data is reliable, accurate and complete
• Detail orientation to ensure related tasks are completed timely and accurately
• Highly organized, capable of maintaining a systematic process for handling and recording all financial data, files, and analysis
• Ability to adapt to a fast-growing environment and make changes where fit
• Essential characteristic of integrity, act according to the highest ethical standards pertaining to accounting controls and policies, able to maintain strict confidence as needed